Skip to main content

Short Term Impairments

This resource has been compiled to assist students experiencing short term impairments. 

Communicate first with your course instructors to discuss your situation and how it impacts your ability to complete coursework. You may be referred to the DRO if the instructor and/or department needs assistance or is unable to identify a solution. Student should contact DRO via email ( after communicating with instructors.  DRO staff may request medical documentation including diagnosis, expected duration of the condition, treatment, and limitations (e.g. hospital discharge summaries, doctor’s notes, etc.) if the condition is not readily observable.

  • Contact course instructors regarding your medical condition, absences, expected date of return to class, make up, etc. Typically, instructors determine how much flexibility is possible to stay current in the class.
  • If unable to contact instructors, students, or designated individuals should follow the steps outlined for Academic Absence Verification.
  • Check with your Academic Advisor about schedule revisions needed i.e. number of credits, course section (times/days), distance education options, etc.
  • Degree students should contact the Department/College about late drops before contacting the Counseling Center (919-515-2423).
  • Non-degree students should contact the Non-Degree Study program at the Department of Registration and Records (919-515-2572).
  • Follow your doctor’s orders and comply with treatment.
  • Get absence notes and written medical information (e.g. condition, symptoms, restrictions, recommendations, duration, etc.)
  • Contact Student Health Center – 919-515-2563 – to investigate on-campus medical services.

*Personalized Transportation Service: Please note personal transportation and travel about campus is the responsibility of each individual. NC State is not responsible for providing personalized, door-to-door transportation services for students.  All students are able to utilize the accessible resources available on campus, such as the Wolfline, Wolfpack Pickup, and strategic parking.

Contact NC State Counseling Center for counseling support, assessment, consultation, etc. – 919-515-2423.

Contact the NC State University Fire and Life Safety at if you have questions or concerns about campus evacuation procedures.

  • Contact your Resident Advisor (RA) to notify housing and inquire about housing assistance.
  • Room changes due to health issues can be discussed with the Housing Assignments Office – 919-515-2440.