Short-Term Impairments Checklist

This resource has been compiled to assist students experiencing short term impairments. 

Are you receiving medical treatment for your condition?

  • Follow your doctor’s orders and comply with treatment.
  • Get absence notes and written medical information (e.g. condition, symptoms, restrictions, recommendations, duration, etc.)
  • Contact Student Health Center – 919-515-2563 – to investigate on campus medical services.


Do you need assistance with parking or travel?

*Personalized Transportation Service: Please note personal transportation and travel about campus is the responsibility of each individual. NCSU is not responsible for providing personalized, door-to-door transportation services for students.  All students need to utilize the accessible resources available on campus, such as the Wolfline, Wolfpack Pickup and strategic parking.


Do you need information about campus accessibility, are you traveling by wheelchair or with crutches, do you need help with physical barriers?


Are you experiencing personal, academic, or vocational problems?

  • Contact NC State Counseling Center for counseling support, assessment, consultation, etc. – 919-515-2423.


Are you concerned about safety or evacuation in case of an emergency?

  • Contact the NC State University Deputy Fire Marshal, Jon Brann  at if you have questions or concerns about campus evacuation.


Are you living in an NC State residence hall and concerned about your current limitations?

  • Contact your Resident Advisor (RA) to notify housing and to get housing assistance.
  • Room changes due to health issues can be discussed with the Housing Assignments Office (919-515-2440).


Do you need help with food or meals?

  • Contact Dining Hall to request assistance navigating the serving line.
  • Contact your Resident Advisor (RA) if you cannot get food from the dining hall.


Are you having difficulty getting to your classes, participating, or completing your assignments or tests?

  • Contact Course Instructors regarding your medical condition, absences, expected date of return to class, make up, etc. See Campus Directory:
  • If unable to contact instructors, students or designated individuals should contact
  • Check with Academic Advisor about schedule revisions needed i.e. number of credits, course section (times/days), distance education options, etc.
  • Degree students should contact the Department/College about late drops before contacting the Counseling Center (919-515-2423).
  • Non-degree students should contact the Non-Degree Study program at the Department of Registration and Records (919-515-2572).


Are you unable to complete academic requirements (e.g. note taking, taking tests or other assistance)?

Communicate first with your Course Instructors to share your concerns. You may be referred to the DRO if the instructor and/or department is unable to provide a solution.  Student should contact DRO via email ( DRO Staff will confirm student’s needs and assist instructor in providing access without risking academic integrity of the course. DRO Staff may request medical documentation including diagnosis, expected duration of condition, treatment, and limitations e.g. hospital discharge summaries, doctor’s notes, etc.

  • DRO Staff will email student requesting they register via the Online Portal:

  • DRO Staff will generate a Temporary Services Agreement and share with professor and student