We use Read & Write for Google Chrome to reading, writing, and research on campus. This extension is available to all students, faculty, and staff with an email address that ends with @ncsu.edu. This productivity tool is available to assist you with reading and processing information on web sites, google suite (docs, slides, sheets), pdf’s, and Office 365 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
Please use the installation instructions below to add it to your Google Chrome account then watch the training videos.
Then follow these steps to install the Chrome Extension:
- Log into Chrome using your @ncsu.edu account.
- Click this link: Read & Write for Google and “add to Chrome”
- Refresh your Chrome Browser by clicking on the clockwise arrow to the left of the address bar.
- Click on the Purple RW puzzle piece in your address bar to open the program.
- Accept all permissions (they are safe and have been vetted by the university)
- Follow the same process for the Texthelp PDF Reader to assist you in reading PDF documents.
- To convert image PDFs and pictures you take on your smartphone to text renderable PDF’s please install Snapverter to your Google Apps. When you click on “Try Snapverter” it will ask you which account to use, please choose your @NCSU chrome account.
- You can learn more about how to use snapverter by watching the Snapverter Tutorial video.
- These extensions are free to anyone with an @ncsu.edu email account.
Read & Write software is also available to use with Android, iPad, Windows, Mac OS, Chrome, and Edge.
You can download and install all versions of the software from the NCSU Software page.
Video Tutorials and Playlists are available through YouTube for each version.
If you would like a one-on-one consultation, you can make an appointment with the Assistive Technology Coordinator by calling the DRO at 919-515-7653.