We use Read & Write software to support reading, writing, and research on campus. It is available to all faculty, students, and staff with an email address that ends with @ncsu.edu. It is available to support you in Chrome, Edge, Windows, Mac, Android, and the iPad. This productivity tool is available to assist you with reading and processing information on websites, google suite (docs, slides, sheets), PDFs, and Office 365 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
Read & Write for Google Chrome is probably the most popular download by our students to support reading, writing, and research on campus. This productivity tool is available to assist you with reading and processing information on websites, google suite (docs, slides, sheets), PDFs, and Office 365 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
Please use the installation instructions below to add the version of Read & Write you want to use and then watch the training videos available to learn the many support tools and features
Then follow these steps to install Read & Write:
- If you want to install the Chrome version, make sure you are in your NC State Chrome account, not a personal account. You can use this link (How to log into Chrome) to make sure you are in your NC State account. You do not need to do this to install a Windows, Mac, Edge, or iPad version of the software.
- Click this link: Read & Write for Google
- Click ‘Try Now’
- Click to select which version you want to install, most people install both the chrome version and the version for your Operating System (Mac or PC), next click ‘Install’. If you are installing 2 versions you will need to install them seperately.
- Once the file has downloaded, click on it
- Click ‘Accept and Install’
- Once the installation is complete, you are good to go!
- When you open the product, and prompted you will need to enter your unity ID/email address *******@ncsu.edu
- When using Read & Write for Chrome, click on the Purple RW puzzle piece icon in your address bar to open the program.
- Accept all permissions (they are safe and have been vetted by the university)
OrbiNote for PDF Support
- Follow the same process for installing OrbitNote to assist you in reading PDF documents.
- Click this link: OrbitNote
- Click ‘Try Now’
- Click to select which version you want to install (Chrome, Microsoft) using your Unity ID/email address: *******@ncsu.edu
- Tutorial Getting Started with OrbitNote (written instruction)
- Video Tutorials: Introduction to OrbitNote
- You can learn more about how to use snapverter by watching the Snapverter Tutorial video.
- These extensions are free to anyone with an @ncsu.edu email account.
Equatio – Accessible Math (Voiced & TTS Math)
Equatio allows you to create equations, formulas, and more digitally. Helping to make math and STEM classes more accessible and engaging for every student.
- Watch these short training tutorials to learn how to use the extension to do voiced math.
- EquatIO Tutorial (YouTube, Captioned)
Other Equatio® platforms (Windows, Mac, Chrome, Web App) are available for download through the NCSU Software Licensing Website. Log in as a student, staff, or faculty member, and then follow the installation instructions for the product EquatIO.
Other Text to Speech tools:
- Microsoft Learning Tools
- Text to Speech in Mac
- Text to Speech on iPhone, iPad
- Text to Speech on Android Device
- Natural Reader
If you would like a one-on-one consultation, you can make an appointment with the Assistive Technology Coordinator by calling the DRO at 919-515-7653.