In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), NC State has designated the Disability Resource Office (DRO) as the authorized office to receive documentation and determine student eligibility for reasonable accommodations on the basis of disability. DRO engages in an interactive process and considers each individual’s condition, history, request and the essential elements of NC State University programs, services and activities to determine eligibility. Accommodations (academic adjustments, auxiliary aids and reasonable modifications) are determined individually and are intended to minimize the effects of the impact of specific limitations caused by a disability in order for a qualified individual to have equal opportunities for participation.
Individuals are encouraged to begin this process as early as possible to ensure the timely provision of accommodations. DRO will attempt to determine eligibility and provide related accommodations within 15 business days of submission; however, to ensure academic accommodations can be utilized within the current semester, students should complete this process a minimum of 4 weeks prior to the last day of classes.
Steps to Connect with DRO:
The following steps must take place before eligibility can be determined.
- Submit your disclosure information and documentation (see Documentation Guidelines) by uploading it on the Disclosure Form or submitting it via fax, email or mail. Your disclosure information will not be processed until both the Disclosure Form and documentation have been received (unless your disability is easily observable or you are disclosing a Service Animal (as defined by the ADA). NOTE:
- Students traveling with Service Animals (as defined by the ADA) or those with readily observable disabilities (travels by wheelchair, uses white cane, etc) may contact the DRO to request an access meeting after submitting the Disclosure Form without submitting documentation.
- If you encounter any difficulties or have questions regarding the submission or upload of your documentation, please contact the DRO.
- Students requesting accommodations within University Housing (including service animals or emotional support animals) should also review Accommodations within University Housing for additional information and requirements.
- Once Disclosure information and documentation are received and reviewed by the DRO, students will be contacted via their University email regarding eligibility status.
- If eligible, students will be contacted to discuss approved accommodations.
- If not eligible, the email will provide an explanation and what additional information may be required.
- Generally, students are notified within ten business days of submission. If you have not received communication from the DRO after ten business days please contact the DRO.
DRO only reviews documentation for students that have accepted their admission into NC State or have registered for an academic course.
NAVIGATING A TEMPORARY IMPAIRMENT:
Students with temporary or short -term impairment such as a broken arm, concussion, surgery recovery, etc. may receive temporary services through the DRO. Students should communicate first with course instructors to discuss options. You may be referred to the DRO if the instructor and/or department is unable to provide a solution. Student should contact DRO via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) after communicating with instructors. For additional resources please review the Short-Term Impairment checklist.
Students who have complaints related to disability discrimination should follow the established Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Complaint Procedure.